Speech Title: TMT Vs Radical cystectomy, how radical we can be?
Name: Rami S. Al-Azab.
Place and date of Birth: Jordan Dec.30th, 1969. Marital Status: Married.
Department of Surgery-Division of Urology King Abdullah University Hospital
- Associate professor of surgery-urology Faculty of Medicine
Department of Surgery-Division of Urology
Jordan University of Science and Technology (JUST)
- Program director Consultant urologist
King Abdullah University Hospital.
- President – Jordan Association of Urological Surgeons (JAUS) March.2020 -present
- Chair of the Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC) – Faculty of Medicine- Jordan University of Science and Technology 2017-present
- Jordanian urology board examiner: 2017-present
- Member of the arab board of urology commitee for training 2019- present
- Arab Board examiner 2018- present
- Chair of the scientific committee – Jordan Association of Urological surgeons (JAUS) 2014-2016, 2016-2020
High school: Salt Secondary School 1987 (rank 28 in Jordan in the General certification Exam).
Special Education: Pioneer Center for Gifted Students: 1984-1987 Rank 1.
Medical School: Faculty of medicine -University of Jordan 1987-1993; MBBS degree.
Internship: Al-Hussein Hospital-Salt- Ministry of Health July.1993-June 1994.
Internal Medicine Locum: Jordan University Hospital Nov.1994-May 1995.
Surgical House Staff officer: Arab Medical Center-Amman May1995- June.1996.
Transitional year Resident: Seton Hall University -NJ-USA July 1996- June 1997.
- General Surgery Resident:- Jordan University of Science and Technology (JUST): July 1997-June 1998.
- Urology Resident:- Jordan University of Science and Technology (JUST): July 1998- June 2002.
- Urology Resident:-American University of Beirut (AUB): July.2000-June.2001. Beirut-Lebanon
- Highest Specialty in Medicine:–Urology degree. Jordan University of Science and Technology (JUST) June 2002.
- Jordanian board of Urology: – September 2002.
- Urological Oncology Fellow: Princess Margaret Hospital and Cancer center, Toronto general Hospital, Toronto western Hospital, University Health Network (UHN) University of Toronto, Jan.2003- June. 2005. Society of Urological Oncology (SUO) accredited program
- Rami Al-Azab, Ants Toi, Neil Fleshner, Gina Lockwood, University of Toronto, ON Canada 2004;” Prostate volume is strongest predictor of cancer diagnosis at transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy with prostate-specific antigen values between 2.0 and 9.0 ng/mL” . Urology. 2007 Jan; 69(1):103-7. , AUA 2004 and CUA poster presentation.
- Rami Al-Azab, Hisham El-Ghamrawi, Neil Fleshner: “Predictors of Cancer Detection at second Trans-Rectal Ultrasound Prostate Biopsy” CUA poster presentation.
- Rami Al-Azab, Hisham El-Ghamrawi, Neil Fleshner, University of Toronto, ON Canada;” The presence or the amount of PIN does not predict positive prostate rebiopsy”, 2005CUA podium presentation
- Neil Fleshner, Rami Al-Azab, Karen Hersey, University of Toronto, ON Canada,”the effect of supplementary soy on Bone mineral density in patients with advanced prostate cancer”, CUA 2004 poster presentation.
- Neil Fleshner, Rami Al-Azab, Karen Hersey, University of Toronto, ON Canada,” the effect of supplementary soy on Quality of Life in patients with advanced prostate cancer”, CUA 2004 poster presentation.
- Rami Al-Azab, Neil Fleshner, Joan Lipa , John Wiley, University of Toronto, ON Canada,” Feasibility of cavernous nerve grafting to restore sexual functions post radical cystectomy”.
- Rami Al-Azab, Neil Fleshner, Karen Hersey,”Urinary proteomics as a marker of Transitional cell carcinoma” CUOG-Lilly Bladder Cancer Research Award 2003, Ongoing project.
- Rami Al-Azab, Ants Toi, Gina Lockwood, and Neil Fleshner, Volume- Based Nomogram for Transrectal Ultrasound-Guided Prostate Biopsy Among Patients with PSA levels between 2 and 10 ng/ml: Development and Internal Validation, Submitted for publication, and 2005 CUA poster presentation-Ottawa.
- Fleshner E. Neil, Al-Azab S. Rami, Prostate cancer: chemoprevention update 2005.Can J Urol. 2005 Jun;12 Suppl 2:2-4. Review.
- Girish S. Kulkarni, Rami Al-Azab, Gina Lockwood, Ants Toi, Michael
- A.S. Jewett, Antonio Finelli, John Trachtenberg, Andrew Evans, Joan Sweet and Neil E. Fleshner, Evidence for a biopsy derived grade artifact among larger prostate glands. J Urol. 2006 Feb; 175(2): 505-9. , Feb.2005.
- Prostate cancer: chemoprevention update 2005.
Fleshner N, Al Azab R. Department of Surgery (Urology), University Health Network and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Canadian Journal of Urology,2005 Jun;12 Suppl 2:2-4.
- Vesicocutaneous fistula presenting as a thigh abscess. Banihani MN, Al-Azab RS, Waqfi NR, Kharashgah MN, Al Manasra AR. Department of General Surgery and Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology. Singapore med J : 2009 Sep;50(9):e336-7.
|No||Title||Journal||Authors||Date of publication|
|1||Involvement of the prostate by chronic lymphocytic lymphoma, clinical and pathological characterization||Canadian Urological Association Journal||RAMI AL-AZAB, MD, MAHMOUD AYESH,NAJLA DAOUD,IBRAHIM GHALAYINI,MOHAMMAD ALGHAZO||Accepted for Publication on March.4th,2016|
|2||Telenephrology application in rural and remote areasof Jordan: benefits and impact on quality of life||Rural and Remote Health 16: 3646||R AlAzab, Y Khader||7 January 2016|
|3||Advanced Uropathy in a Child With Underactive Bladder: Unusual Presentation, Treatment, and Long- term Follow Up||Urology Case Reports 3 (2015) 37e39||Rami S. Alazab, Rola S. Saqan, Faris Abu Shamma||Dec.2014|
|4||Prostate diseases in the Middle East, a Clinical and pathological review at King Abdullah University Hospital-Jordan||Jordanian Medical Journal||Rami AlAzab, Khaled Keirallah, Haitham Tahat, and Ismail Matalka||Accepted for Publication on March.4th,2016|
|5||Evidence for a Biopsy Derived Grade Artifact Among Larger Prostate Glands||The Journal of urology, Volume 175, Issue 2, Pages 505–509||Girish S. Kulkarni, Rami Al-Azab, Gina Lockwood, Ants Toi, Andrew Evans, John Trachtenberg, Michael A.S. Jewett, Antonio Finelli, and Neil E. Fleshner||Feb,2006|
|6||Prostate Volume Is Strongest Predictor of Cancer Diagnosis at Transrectal Ultrasound-Guided Prostate Biopsy with Prostate-Specific Antigen Values Between 2.0 and 9.0 ng/mL||UROLOGY, UROLOGY 69: 103–107||Rami Al-Azab, Ants Toi, Gina Lockwood, Girish S. Kulkarni, and Neil Fleshner||2007|
|7||Recovery of Erectile Function After Unilateral and Bilateral Cavernous Nerve Interposition Grafting During Radical Pelvic Surgery||THE JOURNAL OF UROLOGY, Vol. 181, 1258- 1263||Raj Satkunasivam, SreeAppu, Rami Al-Azab, Karen Hersey, Gina Lockwood, Joan Lipa and Neil E. Fleshner||March 2009|
|8||Prostate cancer: chemoprevention update 2005||Can J Urol.;12 Suppl 2:2-4.||Fleshner N, Al Azab R.||June.2005|
|9||Urodynamic Detrusor Overactivity in Patients with Overactive Bladder Symptoms||IntNeurourol J 2011;15:48- 54||Mohammed A. Al-Ghazo, Ibrahim Fathi Ghalayini, Rami Al-Azab, Osama Bani Hani, Yousef S. Matani, Yazan Haddad||2011|
|10||Erectile dysfunction in a Mediterranean country: Results of an epidemiological survey of a representative sample of men||INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF IMPOTENCE RESEARCH,22, 196–203||IF Ghalayini, MA Al-Ghazo, R Al-Azab, I Bani-Hani1, YS Matani, A-E Barham, MNA Harfeil and Y Haddad||JANUARY 2010|
|11||Does the duration of infertility affect semen parameters and pregnancy rate after varicocelectomy?: a retrospective study||International Brazilian journal of urology, Volume: 37 , Issue: 6||Al-Ghazo,Mohammed A; Ghalayini, Ibrahim F; Al- Azab, Rami S; Bani-Hani, Ibrahim; Barham, Alaa;Haddad, Yazan||Jan.2011|
|12||Clinical Comparison of Conventional Testicular Sperm Extraction and Microdissection Techniques for Non-Obstructive Azoospermia||J Clin Med Res • 2011;3(3):124-131||Ibrahim Fathi Ghalayini, , Mohammed A. Al-Ghazo, Osama Bani Hani, Rami Al-Azab, Ibrahim Bani-Hani, Faheem Zayed, Yazan Haddad||2011|
|13||Hypertension Prevalence, Awareness and Control Levels among Ghawarna: An African-Descendant Ethnic Minority in the Jordan Valley||Ethnicity & Disease, Volume 25, Number 3||Khalid A. Kheirallah, PhD; Mohammed Liswi, MD; Rami Alazab, MD; ZeyadBataineh, MD; SukainaAlzyoud, PhD; JomanaAlsulaiman, MD; Hashem Jaddou, MD||Summer 2015|
|14||Emergency versus elective ureteroscopic treatment of ureteral stones||CUAJ • Volume 7, Issues 7- 8||Yousef S. Matani, MD, FRCS; Mohammed A. Al- Ghazo, MD, FRCS; Rami S. Al-Azab, MD; Osamah Bani Hani, MD; Ibrahim F. Ghalayini, MD, FRCS; Ibrahim Bani Hani, MD, FRCS||July-August 2013|
|15||Emergency double-J stent insertion following uncomplicated Ureteroscopy: risk- factor analysis and recommendations||International braz j urol: 39(2):203-208 ·||Matani Yousef,Mohammed A Al-Ghazo, Rami Alazab, DaherRabadi||April 2013|
|16||Do all patients with newly diagnosed prostate cancer need staging radionuclide bone scan? a retrospective study||International braz j urol, , Volume 36, Issue 6||Al-Ghazo, Mohammed A; Ghalayini, Ibrahim Fathi; Al-Azab, Rami S; Bani- Hani, Ibrahim; Daradkeh, Mohammad S||12/2010|
|17||Emergency ureteroscopic lithotripsy in acute renal colic caused by ureteral calculi: a retrospective study||Urological Research, Volume 39, Issue 6||Al-Ghazo, Mohammed A; Ghalayini, Ibrahim Fathi; Al-Azab, Rami S; Bani Hani, Osamah; Bani-Hani, Ibrahim; AbuHarfil, Mohammad; Haddad, Yazan||12/2011|
|18||Vesicocutaneous fistula presenting as a thigh abscess||Singapore Medical Journal 50(9):e336||Banihani M N, AL-Azab R S, Waqfi N R, Kharashgah M N, AL Manasra AR A||2009|
- PSA-Dynamics post transurethral ultrasound guided prostate biopsy as a predictor of biopsy outcome.
A prospective study started October 2008, division of urology-King Abdullah University Hospital-Jordan University of Science and Technology.
- Prostate disease data base: generating prostate disease data base in northern Jordan for future analysis. Division of urology-King Abdullah University Hospital-Jordan University of Science and Technology.
PSA-Campaign ” Prevalence of prostate cancer in Jordan, A prospective population based screening program started August.2009, Division of urology-King Abdullah University Hospital-Jordan University of Science and Technology.
- Sexual dysfunction in the Middle East, An epidemiological questionnaire based surveillance, Division of urology-King Abdullah University Hospital-Jordan University of Science and Technology.
- Relation between the duration of infertility and the outcome of varicocele surgery. Division of urology-King Abdullah University Hospital-Jordan University of Science and Technology.
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia recurring as Prostate gland infiltrate, Case- series Division of urology and Department of medicine-King Abdullah University Hospital-Jordan University of Science and Technology.
- B-cell Lymphoma presenting as an isolated adrenal mass, Division of urology and Department of medicine-King Abdullah University Hospital-Jordan University of Science and Technology.
- Incidence of urethral stricture post open heart surgery: prevention and characterization of risk factors.
- Cavernosogram in patients with erectile dysfunction: a paradigm for diagnosis and treatment.
- Erectile dysfunction after pelvic surgery; should Cavernosogram be incorporated in the initial post operative work-up?
- Case report: a case of kesselman syndrome presenting as a left adrenal mass.
- Metastatic Perivascular Epithelioid Cell Tumor of The Kidney: A Case Report with Emphasis on Response to The Tyrosine-Kinase Inhibitor Sunitinib
Research and Reports in Urology, Research and Reports in Urology 2019:11 311–317
Rami S AlAzab1 Mohammed S Alorjani 2 Firas E Sahawneh 1 Sana Al-Sukhun3 1 Urology Division, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan; 2 Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan; 3 Oncology Practice, Hyatt Medical Center, Amman, Jordan,
Academic Activities :
- Introductory Course coordinator for fourth year medical students 2005-2016
- Surgery Rotations coordinator –fourth year medical students, 2005- 2006, 2006-2007, 2008-2009. Sixth year surgery coordinator 2009-2010.
- Scientific and conferences committee- faculty of Medicine-Jordan University of Science and Technology.
- Urology annual workshop Moderator, faculty of Medicine-Jordan University of Science and Technology 2005-2006.
- Surgery fourth and sixth year Examination committee 2005-Present.
- Department of Surgery social committee.September.2005-present.
- King Abdullah University Hospital JCIAA committee, General policies committee, Patient education Committee.
- Tumor committee- King Abdullah University Hospital: Responsible for Cancer treatment protocols, medications and multidisciplinary committee for selected cases.
- Faculty of Medicine-Jordan University of medicine self assessment report editor and reviewer.
- Educational development center- task force and foundation committee.
- Medical filing and documentation committee- King Abdullah University Hospital.
- CUOG-LILLY Bladder Cancer research award on 2003. “Urinary proteomics as a marker of Transitional cell carcinoma”.
- Clinical Fellow of the year: Robson research day award for clinical Fellows Categories, Department of Surgery-urology, University of Toronto, Toronto –Canada, April 1, 2004.
- Professor Neil E. Fleshner, MD FRCS(C), MPH, Chief – Department of urology, University Health Network-University of Toronto, Ontario-Canada.
- Professor Michael Jewett, MD FRCS(C), Urology division, University Health Network-University of Toronto, Ontario-Canada.
- Mohammed. A. Bulbul, MD FRCS(C), American University of Beirut, Beirut – Lebanon.